[luatex] using (pdf)lualatex

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Sun Feb 15 02:46:52 CET 2009

On 13 February 2009 luigi scarso wrote:

 > On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 11:28 AM, Yue Wang <yuleopen at gmail.com> wrote:
 > > Hi, Luigi:

 > >> maybe a bug of gs.
 > >> Are there some pdfs  made with luatex ?
 > >>

 > > Should that be made using the LaTeX format?
 > > if not, please visit http://code.google.com/p/way2ctx/downloads/list
 > > for a Chinese document.
 > > It is written by Yanrui Li using ConTeXt MKIV.
 >
 > gs  -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -dLastPage=1 -dNOPAUSE -sOutputFile=test_3.pdf
 > ctxnotes-obsolete-v2.pdf -c quit
 >

 > Copyright (C) 2009 Artifex Software, Inc.  All rights reserved.
 > This software comes with NO WARRANTY: see the file PUBLIC for details.
 > [...]
 >    **** Warning: Outline has invalid link that was discarded.
 >    **** This file had errors that were repaired or ignored.
 >    **** The file was produced by:
 >    **** >>>> luaTeX-0.30.1 <<<<
 >    **** Please notify the author of the software that produced this
 >    **** file that it does not conform to Adobe's published PDF
 >    **** specification.

Quite funny.  This is by far the easiest method to solve problems.
Neither acroread nor xpdf is complaining.

I first thought that it has something to do with object stream
compression because the xref table is compressed indeed.  gs-8.15
complains that it doesn't find the xref table at all, and gs-8.63
says:

GPL Ghostscript 8.63 (2008-08-01)
Copyright (C) 2008 Artifex Software, Inc.  All rights reserved.
This software comes with NO WARRANTY: see the file PUBLIC for details.
   **** File has an unbalanced >> (close dictionary).
   **** Incorrect object count in object stream.
Error: /rangecheck in resolveobjectstream

However, I tested the file
______________________
\pdfminorversion=5
\pdfobjcompresslevel=3
good\bye
______________________

with pdftex and pdfluatex and gs-8.63 handles the PDF output
gracefully.  I doubt that it's a LuaTeX problem, though I'm not sure.

As far as I know, Martin has a bunch of pre-flight tools, and it would
be nice to know whether ghostscript is the only program which has
problems.

BTW, pdftk aborts with an error message too.  But the latest version
is from 2004 and obviously doesn't support object stream compression
yet.  It's really a pity because it's a wonderful thing and I'd like
to write some scripts for debugging PDF files based on the
"uncompress" option of pdftk.

Some time ago I also evaluated pdftosrc as an alternative.  What I
still don't understand is that it didn't support object stream
compression while xpdf did.  Don't pdftosrc and pdftex use the same
library for parsing PDF files?  Regarding the xpdf libs, pdftex seems
to be quite up-to-date always, and I would expect that pdftosrc uses
the same libs because I don't see differnt libs from Derek in the TeX
Live build tree.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25