[luatex] using (pdf)lualatex

Yue Wang yuleopen at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 10:43:17 CET 2009

> no matter what speedups we are able to cook up in the future, keep in mind
> that the nature of luatex is that information is passed around in lua tables
> and this will not change; as a result luatex will always have a larger
> footprint than pdftex and xetex; for that reason it's good to have multiple
> engines: xetex is faster and uses less memory (although it has some pretty
> large usage as well) but has kind of frozen interfaces while luatex is more
> open with respect to interfaces but at the cost of speed and memory (as soon
> as one starts to do fancy things with node lists, not only memory usage but
> also procesing speed compared to the other tex engines becomes a factor);
> it's simply something that luatex users to accept

To be honest, the only reasons for me to use luatex is because xetex's
linebreaking is not so good, and context has better support for
luatex, so I can produce more fancy documents....

And ordinary researchers will not benefit from "open up the engines",
"lua scripting", "pass lua tables" since they just want to finish
their paper.

>> - When the font cache is not given, ConTeXt will try to dump one on
>> the first run. LuaTeX will use much more memory than expected. For
>> example, only loading the metrics from an ordinary Chinese font like
>> AdobeSongStd-Light (a 13M font) in plain TeX will use more than 700M
>> memory. I reported this problem to the ntg-context mailing list
>> yesterday.
>
> btw, the table of that font is not even that large:
>
>  7.623.626 adobesongstd-light.lua
>
> when dumped and when compiled to byte code:
>
>  3.833.022 adobesongstd-light.luc
>
> when loading this font, it takes soem 25 meg

Yes, 700/25=28, so fontforge use 28 times of that much memory.

>> For a normal publication, usually some 5 or 6 Chinese fonts will be
>> used. In some cases dozens of these fonts might be used. So it will
>> take very long time for luatex to parse the fonts, as well as huge
>> memory to store the metrics data. So it is suggested that users who
>> want to try luatex should have a computer with large memory and fast
>> CPU since the fontforge library is a nightmare for Asian users who
>> have old machines.
>
> by the time that luatex is mature (a couple of years down the road) machines
> have much more memory so memory is no issue then; disks might be solid state
> which also helps; processors might not be faster but caching migh be better;
> but no matter what the future brings ... luatex will never be real fast

Users have plenty of disk space + large memory + faster CPU, so we as
developers can waste them as we like......
The high usage of disk/memory/cpu may also boost the computer hardware
market, and finally solve the economic depression.