[luatex] Luatex 0.47.0 announcement

Dohyun Kim nomosnomos at gmail.com
Fri Dec 18 17:13:32 CET 2009

2009/12/18 Taco Hoekwater <taco at elvenkind.com>:
> Hi,
>
> I have just uploaded the archives for a new luatex release, 0.47.0.
>
> This will be the last beta before the next major release (0.50),
> so please test this version as thoroughly as you can.
>
> New features:
>
> * New read-write lua variables pdf.pdfcatalog, pdf.pdfnames,
>  pdf.pdfinfo, pdf.pdftrailer
>
> * The horizontal mode nodes that are added to lines during line
>  breaking now inherit the attributes from the first and last node
>  inside the created line.
>
> * The new function pdf.registerannot(<number>) registers an
>  annotation object number to be included in the current
>  page's /Annots list.
>
> * The variables <metrics>.Mathconstants.FractionDelimiterSize
>  and <metrics>.Mathconstants.FractionDelimiterDisplayStyleSize
>  are added to the font table. This allows proper setting of the
>  size parameters for TeX's ...withdelims math primitives.
>
> * The internal representation of the string pool is reorganized
>  (the pool of string characters is now allocated dynamically),
>  and as a side-effect the lua variable status.init_pool_ptr
>  is deprecated and will be removed in a later version. Also,
>  status.pool_ptr now simply returns the current number of bytes
>  in use for string characters.
>
> * There are new lua variables pdf.pdfmapline and pdf.pdfmapfile
>  (write-only strings that mimic \pdfmapline and \pdfmapfile).
>
> * \pdfobj data and attribute are now stored as C strings instead
>  of as token lists (this should speed up cases with a lot of data).
>
> * Artificially slanted fonts now work via the pdf text matrix
>  (instead of adjusting the actual font) so that it now also
>  works for non-Type1 fonts. The lua <metrics>.slant font key is
>  now obeyed in all cases.
>
> * The lua function font.id(<string>) returns the internal font id
>  number belonging to a control sequence name.
>
> * Pdf image inclusion is optimized such that objects from an
>  external pdf will now be included only once even if they are
>  referenced from multiple inclusions.
>
> Bug fixes:
>
> * Protrusion for non-TLT documents did not work properly for
>  the hyphenation character.
>
> * \lastbox could not remove the paragraph indent box for non-TLT
>  documents.
>
> * Pdf images (\pdfximage) are no longer kept open during the
>  whole run, but closed and reopened. An error is raised if
>  the file has changed between \pdfximage and \pdfrefximage.
>  This prevents the 'too many open files' error when lots of
>  images are included.
>
> * On Win32 Pdf image files are locked during the time that it is
>  open, to prevent unnoticed file changes by external sources.
>
> * Compilation now again works on FreeBSD.
>
> * Format sharing between 32-bit and 64-bit architectures was
>  broken.
>
> * Unsetting attributes from lua could sometimes result in
>  the unset state persisting beyond the current group level.

> [...]

On my snow leopard mac os x (x86_64), something is wrong with colorstack.

$ cat colorstack.tex
\chardef\Color=\pdfcolorstackinit page direct{0 g}
default color,
\pdfcolorstack\Color set{1 1 0 0 k}
some new default
\pdfcolorstack\Color push{0 1 1 0 k}
red,
\pdfcolorstack\Color push{1 0 1 0 k}
green,
\pdfcolorstack\Color pop
red again,
\pdfcolorstack\Color pop
default again,
\pdfcolorstack\Color set{0 g}
back to black.
\bye

$ luatex colorstack.tex
This is LuaTeX, Version beta-0.47.0-2009121900
(./colorstack.tex [1{/usr/local/texlive/2009/texmf-var/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/
pdftex.map}luatex(36604) malloc: *** error for object 0x1087915a0:
pointer being freed was not allocated
Abort trap

Then I recompiled luatex binary with --nostrip option, and
the following is the result of gdb:

#0  0x00007fff81c2efe6 in __kill ()
#1  0x00007fff81ccfe32 in abort ()
#2  0x00007fff81be7155 in free ()
#3  0x0000000100064541 in colorstackpop ()
#4  0x0000000100064ae8 in pdf_out_colorstack ()
#5  0x000000010006f054 in hlist_out ()
#6  0x0000000100070e6f in vlist_out ()
#7  0x000000010007126c in vlist_out ()
#8  0x000000010007524f in ship_out ()
#9  0x000000010009ae36 in main_control ()
#10 0x00000001000934ed in main_body ()
#11 0x000000010000236e in main ()

Does anybody has similar issue?  Or is it a problem of my own machine?

--
Dohyun Kim