[luatex] About the level of bidi implementation

Khaled Hosny khaledhosny at eglug.org
Fri Apr 10 23:22:59 CEST 2009

On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 10:39:58PM +0200, Yannis Haralambous wrote:
> Le 10 avr. 09 à 18:40, Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد a écrit :
>
>> do you mean nasta`liq?
>>
>> [By the way -- and this is by no means directed at you :-) -- SIL and
>> others have really confused things by talking about "the Urdu script".
>> As you know so well, Urdu uses Arabic script; it just happens to prefer
>> the nastaliq style to the naskh style.]
>
> Technically speaking you have the "Monotype Urdu font" (which is not
> really Nastaliq, but it does follow Urdu contextual analysis).
>
> Again technically speaking you have various "Nasta`liq fonts" using
> Arabic contextual analysis, in fact they are simplified Nasta`liq fonts.
>
>> But maybe I misunderstand you: I get working nastaliq under
>> uniscribe... am I missing something? [I'd be happy for us to start
>> another thread on this topic]
>
> As you can see in the illustration below (taken from my book) Urdu
> contextual analysis has 7 different forms: isolated (not seen in the
> figure), initial (6), medial-odd (5), medial-even (4), pre-pre-final
> (3), pre-final (2) and final (1). If I should continue then I would have
> 1-2-3-4-5-4-5-4-5-...-6. The sample uses Nafees Nasta`liq.
>
> Well understood this kind of contextual analysis is not covered by
> Uniscribe so it has to be specially implemented.

AFAIK, 'Nafees Nastaleeq'[1] is implemented as a pure OpenType font, it
does certainly work with Uniscribe (at its authors seem to test against
it), it does even work with ConTeXt's OpenType implementation, see the
attached PDF.

[1]http://www.crulp.org/software/localization/Fonts/nafeesNastaleeq.html

Regards,
 Khaled