[luatex] About the level of bidi implementation

Yannis Haralambous yannis.haralambous at telecom-bretagne.eu
Fri Apr 10 22:39:58 CEST 2009

Le 10 avr. 09 à 18:40, Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي
حامد a écrit :

> do you mean nasta`liq?
>
> [By the way -- and this is by no means directed at you :-) -- SIL
> and others have really confused things by talking about "the Urdu
> script". As you know so well, Urdu uses Arabic script; it just
> happens to prefer the nastaliq style to the naskh style.]

Technically speaking you have the "Monotype Urdu font" (which is not
really Nastaliq, but it does follow Urdu contextual analysis).

Again technically speaking you have various "Nasta`liq fonts" using
Arabic contextual analysis, in fact they are simplified Nasta`liq fonts.

> But maybe I misunderstand you: I get working nastaliq under
> uniscribe... am I missing something? [I'd be happy for us to start
> another thread on this topic]

As you can see in the illustration below (taken from my book) Urdu
contextual analysis has 7 different forms: isolated (not seen in the
figure), initial (6), medial-odd (5), medial-even (4), pre-pre-final
(3), pre-final (2) and final (1). If I should continue then I would
have 1-2-3-4-5-4-5-4-5-...-6. The sample uses Nafees Nasta`liq.

Well understood this kind of contextual analysis is not covered by
Uniscribe so it has to be specially implemented.

cheers