[luatex] Vital RTL issues in LuaTeX

وفا خلیقی vafakh9 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 10 15:28:01 CEST 2009

> This is not really accurate. Different arabic-script languages -- such as
> arabic and farsi -- read numerals ltr with some differences between them.
> But in classical arabic -- and I suspect classical persian as well --,
> numbers really _were_ read rtl. Where we say

not true for classical Persian. I am not sure about others. Keep in mind
Persian is not Arabic.

> One Hundred Twenty Three
>
> in the old days they said
>
> Three and Twenty and One Hundred.

We are talking about today.

> These matters are not so clear cut.

what do you mean?

> Which is why, again, we have to distinguish sharply between engine and
> macro issues. Your concerns are -- afaict -- macro implementation issues,
> not engine issues.

No my concern is that something simple as the numbers should be done
correctly by deafult without further attempt. If it was TeX, I would say it
is macropackage's job to fix these.

> And for these it is up to you or other programmers to use the lua
> extensions to write your own packages. If you don't like Arthur's or Hans'
> or someone else's implementation -- in lua -- of the issues that concern
> you, then that's not really a luatex issue per se. If it's LaTeX package,
> then talk to its author; if it's a ConTeXt issue, talk to Hans (and me if it
> involves Arabic-script).

LuaTeX's claims to be the engine that supports Arabic, Right?

My concers has not got anything to do anything with plain, LaTeX, ConTeXt
macro programming.

> It's very important to keep this distinction in mind, because we all have
> extremely limited and stretched-thin resources. So each of us needs to focus
> where it counts. I certainly don't want to see, eg, Taco bothered with
> non-engine issues at this point, because we have lots of other things to do.

I do not think he cares at all.

My point eventually is something as basic and elementary as numbers should
be done correctly by default and if you guys want to ignore the issue, that
is fine. But you can not change facts.