[lltx] Pre-built format at microtype

Joseph Wright joseph.wright at morningstar2.co.uk
Wed May 18 21:32:45 CEST 2016

On 18/05/2016 20:27, Henrik Mannerström wrote:
> On Wed, May 18, 2016 at 8:35 PM, Robert <w.m.l at gmx.net> wrote:
>>

>> Apparently, it's not possible to dump lua code into the format.
>> It might work if you add
>>
>> \directlua{require("microtype")}
>>
>> to your document.
>>

> But what is different with microtype? Other packages, for example
> mathtools, amssymb, xfrac, babel and graphicx work fine.

\dump saves the *TeX* state to the .fmt file, but not the Lua state. One
can arrange (using bytecode) to save Lua fragments into a format but
this is not really a general solution. Thus Lua code has to be loaded
\everyjob. That's fine provided it's expected, but LaTeX packages tend
to be designed on the assumption that they will be loaded 'live'. (In
l3kernel we do allow for user dumps, but this is not perhaps everyone's
priority.)

Joseph