[lltx] luaotfload-database.lua

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Sun May 26 12:15:26 CEST 2013

Am Sun, 26 May 2013 11:10:08 +0200 schrieb Philipp Gesang:

>> If you have the same font installed in a TEXMF tree and in a system
>> font directory, luaotfload is using the system font.  This is very bad.

> Well, isn’t that the reason why I installed that font in the
> first place?

>> If somebody installs TL from tug.org, I suppose that he wants to
>> use the versions provided by TeX Live.  Or even newer versions
>> in own TEXMF trees.

> Or those in ~/.fonts, which is *the* canonical directory to
> install your preferred fonts in.

> The texmf vs. system fonts matter could be made configurable as
> well, allowing the user to prioritize as they see fit.

As with xetex it can lead to a broken output if xetex and xdvipdfmx
choose different fonts I'm fighting with the "how to handle font
versions" problem already for some time - I had to add a
<rejectfont> to my conf-file to avoid clashes. You simply can't
avoid that some fonts come back in a texmf tree through updates.

Imho some configuration options are needed in the future but on two
levels:

On the tex system level:
- When the tex system installs an open type font it should be
possible to choose the installation location (texmf or system) (and
use it later for updates).

On the luaotfload level:
- luaotfload should warn if a font exists twice
- it should be configurable which location is prefered (comparable
to the "dvipspreferoutline" of updmap) - if possible also on a font
basis so that one can override the general decision for specific
fonts.

(I agree with you that one can't know which font a user want to use.
So there is no sensible default location.)

--
Ulrike Fischer
http://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/