[lltx] issue with unicode-math, spanish and LuaLaTeX

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Tue Jul 12 16:22:31 CEST 2011

Am Tue, 12 Jul 2011 14:49:28 +0200 schrieb Philipp Stephani:

> Am 12.07.2011 13:41, schrieb Ulrike Fischer:
>> Am Sat, 9 Jul 2011 18:35:50 +0200 schrieb Philipp Stephani:
>>

>>> A short update on this: while we can fix this on the
>>> lualatex-math/unicode-math end (see the discussion at GitHub), it
>>> is only a symptom of a deeper problem, namely that the \mathcode,
>>> \mathchardef, \delcode, \radical etc. primitives are deprecated
>>> with LuaTeX since they (unlike \char etc.) can't easily be
>>> extended to allow Unicode code points.
>>
>> If \mathcode is deprecated with luatex then why does
>> unicode-math/\setmathfont change the mathcode of the dot at all?
>
> Because it uses a different family than LaTeX does. The math code itself
> still exists (as class, family, code point triple), but the \mathcode
> primitive can't be used any more to access math codes once one of the
> new primitives (\Umathcode etc.) has been used. Therefore I think
> \mathcode should not be used at all.

Hm. I understand \mathcode and \Umathcode actually look at the same
value and so are not independent. But I have the impression the
problem is less with \mathcode (which after all gives a value) but
with \mathchardef which doesn't accept it if the \mathcode is too
large.

But looking at the luatex manual I didn't actually understand how to
replace \mathchardef/\mathcode. What is the luatex equivalent of

\mathchardef\test=\mathcode`\x?

With xetex I can at least use

\XeTeXmathcharnumdef\test=\XeTeXmathcodenum`\x

but none of the various combination of \Umathchardef + \Umathcode
etc seems to work in luatex.

--
Ulrike Fischer