[lltx] issue with unicode-math, spanish and LuaLaTeX

Philipp Stephani st_philipp at yahoo.de
Tue Jul 12 14:49:28 CEST 2011

Am 12.07.2011 13:41, schrieb Ulrike Fischer:
> Am Sat, 9 Jul 2011 18:35:50 +0200 schrieb Philipp Stephani:
>

>> A short update on this: while we can fix this on the
>> lualatex-math/unicode-math end (see the discussion at GitHub), it
>> is only a symptom of a deeper problem, namely that the \mathcode,
>> \mathchardef, \delcode, \radical etc. primitives are deprecated
>> with LuaTeX since they (unlike \char etc.) can't easily be
>> extended to allow Unicode code points.
>
> If \mathcode is deprecated with luatex then why does
> unicode-math/\setmathfont change the mathcode of the dot at all?

Because it uses a different family than LaTeX does. The math code itself
still exists (as class, family, code point triple), but the \mathcode
primitive can't be used any more to access math codes once one of the
new primitives (\Umathcode etc.) has been used. Therefore I think
\mathcode should not be used at all.

 > And
> why does it change it to a much higher (and so invalid) value than
> it is done with xetex?

Probably the internal representation of math codes is different in XeTeX
and LuaTeX.