[lltx] Can luatex auto-run mkluatexfontdb ?

Khaled Hosny khaledhosny at eglug.org
Mon May 17 15:45:39 CEST 2010

On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 10:23:59PM +0000, Karl Berry wrote:
>     In fact last year I asked Karl to add fc-match in the list of the
>     shell_escape commands in texmf.cnf, I was thinking we would use it. It
>     would be good to have fc-list in the shell_escape list too. Karl, what
>     do you think about it?
>
> As long as they cannot be exploited to get a shell or do nefarious
> things on the local system.  Looking at the man pages, they seem safe,
> but my brain is not good at thinking about ways to abuse programs.
>
> Can you please carefully review all possible options?  Manuel knows how
> much trouble we can get into :).
>
> One thing that occurs to me is that we would have to do something to
> avoid executing them from the current directory on Windows.  Perhaps on
> Windows we should always execute the programs from our own bindir.  But
> on Unix we could/should respect PATH.

I was thinking that using fc tools on both non-cygwin Windows and OSX
doesn't make sense, we should scan font directories directly.

I don't also like the idea of hardcoding such paths into the code, that
is precisely what $OSFONTDIR is for. So, I think texlive/mactex should
set $OSFONTDIR to some sensible value on Windows/OSX, something like:

osx:
/System/Library/Fonts//;/Network/Library/Fonts//;/Library/Fonts//

windows:
%WINDIR%\Fonts (%WINDIR% is an env variable, not sure how kpse handle
those on windows)

This leaves only unices, until we find a way to git rid of fc there.