[lltx] Can luatex auto-run mkluatexfontdb ?

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Mon May 17 00:23:59 CEST 2010

    In fact last year I asked Karl to add fc-match in the list of the
    shell_escape commands in texmf.cnf, I was thinking we would use it. It
    would be good to have fc-list in the shell_escape list too. Karl, what
    do you think about it?

As long as they cannot be exploited to get a shell or do nefarious
things on the local system.  Looking at the man pages, they seem safe,
but my brain is not good at thinking about ways to abuse programs.

Can you please carefully review all possible options?  Manuel knows how
much trouble we can get into :).

One thing that occurs to me is that we would have to do something to
avoid executing them from the current directory on Windows.  Perhaps on
Windows we should always execute the programs from our own bindir.  But
on Unix we could/should respect PATH.

The only other programs we are contemplating enabling for TL'10 is
repstopdf and kpsewhich, both of which are always in our bindir.  So
fc-* would be different in that respect.

karl