[lltx] new tlmgr action

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard mpg at elzevir.fr
Mon May 10 16:26:15 CEST 2010

Le 10/05/2010 06:14, Khaled Hosny a écrit :
> On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 11:16:34AM +0900, Norbert Preining wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>> - have the scripts mkluatexfontdb and mkluatexfontdb-sys in the binaries
>>> of TeXLive? (the program automatically switches to TEXMFSYSVAR if called
>>> with a filename containing "-sys")
>>
>> That is easy, too, we just have to link them there, or so.
>>
>> One question: At which point in time these mkluatexfontdb-sys should be
>> called during normal operation? Say we install a set of new fonts (.pfb
>> format)? WOuld it make sense to call the script?
>
> We only index OpenType fonts (.otf and .ttf), type1 fonts still used the
> tex way (tfm etc.) and there is no much sense to do otherwise.
>
> I'd say the script would run as part of installation process and
> whenever opentype fonts are installed.

Is it a problem to run the script more often than necessary? (For example,
whenever fonts of any type are installed.) If it's ok, I agree with Norbert that
we whould run it whenever we run updmap-sys.

> But since we also index system
> fonts, this will not be enough so the scripts should be there for the
> user to run them manually. Later, we may provide a way to monitor font
> directories and whenever the user asks for non-existent font we check if
> the font database is not up to date and update it, but this should not
> concern texlive.

I agree that this part should not concern TL.

Btw, as a user, I would very much appreciate this kind of improvement :-)

Manuel.