[lltx] LuaLaTeX and FontExplorer Pro

Stephen Moye stephenmoye at mac.com
Sat Jun 5 17:58:46 CEST 2010

I am experimenting with MacTeX2010.

I have run into one problem. I use Linotype FontExplorer Pro (2.5, on Mac OS X 10.6.3) to manage my type library. With this simple document:

%%==8><--%%

% !TEX encoding = UTF-8 Unicode
% !TEX TS-program = LuaLaTeX

\documentclass{article}

\usepackage{fontspec}

\setmainfont{Centaur MT Pro}

\begin{document}

This is easy.

\end{document}

%%==8><--%%

I get the following from the console:

%%==8><--%%

luaotfload | Updating the font names database:
luaotfload | scanning TEXMF fonts...
luaotfload | scanning OS fonts...
./luatest.tex:8: Font \zf at basefont=Centaur MT Pro at 10pt not loadable: metric
data not found or bad.
<to be read again>
                  \let
l.8 \setmainfont{Centaur MT Pro}

?

Will Robertson explained: "Unfortunately LuaLaTeX doesn't use the actual font system in Mac OS X, it just cheats and looks in known locations like ~/Library/Fonts/ and so on. This is a limitation in LuaLaTeX that can only be fixed by someone who knows what they're doing :)"

Would it be possible for Lua{La)TeX to use fonts activated by font management software? (WR also went on to explain that it is possible to use mkluatexfontdb to widen the Lua search area).

Stephen Moye
sgmoye at me.com