[lltx] Re: xltxtra+luatex

Will Robertson wspr81 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 22 07:20:51 CET 2010

Replying from an offlist message from Khaled:

On 21/01/2010, at 8:53 AM, Khaled Hosny wrote:

> I did some work tonight adding luatex support to xltxtra, and it seems
> to be functioning. If it is OK with you, please add me to the repo so I
> can push it (patches attached for review).

In light of the recent discussions here I think for now it's best if we create a new package based on xltxtra (but maybe skipping a couple of its more useless features) that supports both XeTeX and LuaTeX. Then deprecate xltxtra as the "XeTeX-only" original.

What do you all think?

To be honest, I'm not even sure if we need xltxtra (or analogous) any more. I suggest we enumerate its features and then decide which of them are really necessary -- it may end up that stuff like OpenType superiors for \textsuperscript/\textsubscript deserve their own mini-packages and the rest can be ignored. The more I think about this idea the more I like it -- there have been more issues raised than solved, I think, by lumping in various LaTeX changes into a single package when conflicts have occurred.

Oh, and we should also get a version of the LuaTeX logo incorporated into metalogo. I'll message Andrew Moschou about it.

-- Will