[lltx] luamicrotype?

Khaled Hosny khaledhosny at eglug.org
Tue Feb 23 11:18:20 CET 2010

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 09:35:46AM +0200, Élie Roux wrote:
> 2010/2/23 Will Robertson <wspr81 at gmail.com>:
> >
> > 1. font expansion and/or protrusion should be globally switchable, which
> > lends itself more to a package like microtype than for specific font
>
> Agreed, but as fonts will be loaded with fontspec, luamicrotype (or
> whatever) will have to interact with it and fontspec will have to
> provide a way to load a font with microtypographic options...
>
> > 2. if people go to the effort of creating and distributing protrusion
> > settings for different fonts, then they should be loaded by default --
> > although whether protrusion should be active or not should be entirely up
> > to the user
>
> Agreed! What I imagined more precisely is this:
>  - the user loads luamicrotype
>  - luamicrotype sets \pdfprotrudechars2 \pdfadjustspacing2 and tells
> fontspec to have the default option Protrusion = Auto
>  - fontspec loads all new fonts with luaotfload with the option +protrusion=auto
>  - luaotfload, when it sees the 'auto' options calls a function (we
> can imagine something like callback.create) to retrieve the protrusion
> settings for the font, and luamicrotype provides it through this
> callback
>
> What do you think about this?

I still find the extra package unnecessary, what is the function of
luamicrotype packages besides switching microtypography on? it can be
done some thing like:

\usepackage [Microtypography]{fontspec} % switch on microtypography
\setmainfont[
             Protrusion=Quality,        % user explicitly selects a preset
             Expansion =Quality,
	    ] {TeX Gyre Termes}
\setsansfont  {TeX Gyre Heros}          % otherwise 'default' preset is implied

I'm not sure what the callbacks you are suggesting are for.