[lltx] fontspec CTAN release

Khaled Hosny khaledhosny at eglug.org
Sat Feb 13 12:46:23 CET 2010

On Sat, Feb 13, 2010 at 05:54:09PM +1030, Will Robertson wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> So obviously things have come up and I've dropped the ball a fair bit on
> (a) writing the documentation for fontspec and (b) fixing all its bugs.
>
> So these can happen sooner rather than later, I'd like to establish a
> baseline feature set to work towards over the next little while. First
> of all, I guess: do you think we should aim to have cached fonts (i.e.,
> system fonts) available in LuaTeX? Or is that too variable at the moment
> depending on the setup of each user?

AFAIC, luaotfload can now load system fonts (which is different from
cached fonts that is yet to be implemented), currently the font
database generating script is too memory consuming (on my system with
~3000 fonts installed, it eats no less than 1GB of memory), luatex is
leaking memory here and this need to be fixed. What is missing is the
ability to launch the script from fontspec if no font database is
available or if the asked font is missing from the database, this
shouldn't be hard to implement, but I guess we can release fontspec 2.0
without it.

Cached fonts, on the other hand, are dumps of luatex's fontloader
returned font table so that it can be used by luaotfload without
reloading the font in later runs (faster font loading), the code already
support this but Hans disabled it in the released code (as it depends on
other parts of ConTeXt), I'm planning to check what is missing and
reactivate it if possible.