[lltx] bidi package extended for LuaLaTeX

Vafa Khalighi vafa at users.berlios.de
Sun Apr 4 12:50:26 CEST 2010

> I simply swap the meaning of r and l in my head, which means less code
> to write, and I get all table package to work without any effort, also
> if I've code to generate tables (or if I copy tables from rtl to ltr
> parts of the document) I get the same expected result without altering
> my tables, try:
>
> \documentclass{article}
>
> \begin{document}
> \begin{tabular}{ l c r }
>   aa & 2 & ggg \\
>  bcd & 5 & cd \\
>   e & 8 & f \\
> \end{tabular}
>
> \bgroup
> \luatexmathdir TRT
> \begin{tabular}{ l c r }
>   aa & 2 & ggg \\
>  bcd & 5 & cd \\
>   e & 8 & f \\
> \end{tabular}
>
> \egroup
> \end{document}
>
> The cells will be aligned as expected, though in the second table right
> is actually left etc.

No, this is clearly a bug and you have got to fix that. Things are supposed
to work in the general way, if "r" stands for right alignment, whether you
are doing RTL or LTR it should mean the same thing, you can not just
consider yourself and ignore the rest of people. Also it looks really funny
to say "I simply swap the meaning of r and l in my head".

If you want to do proper bidi implementation as done in bidi package, you
have got to deal with these. Of course tabular is a very small example.

--
Best wishes,
Vafa Khalighi