[lltx] Re: luamicrotype?

Khaled Hosny khaledhosny at eglug.org
Fri Apr 2 16:03:50 CEST 2010

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 10:31:53AM +0200, Khaled Hosny wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 09:36:09PM +0200, Elie Roux wrote:
> > Hello Robert,
> >
> > thank you for your answer!
> >
> > >You seem to be steering towards reinventing the wheel here (and
> > >the axis, too).
>
> Well, I confess, I've an ulterior motive; I want to get ride of as
> legacy TeX macro code as possible, and to me microtype is nothing but a
> pile of code written in a weired macro language that I'll never be able
> to comprehend. So why tie ourselves with legacies, where all what we
> need, to get microtype support in fontspec, is few tens of lines written
> in an elegant, easy to understand programming language? (most of the
> needed work is already done in luaotfload).

As I found this misquotes some where on the web, I didn't mean to say we
would rewrite the *whole microtype package* in few tens of lines of
code, but I meant to say luaotfload already have expansion and
protrusion code, and what is messing is an interface to it, we don't
need to rewrite microtype as we already have a substitute.