[lltx] bidi package extended for LuaLaTeX

Khaled Hosny khaledhosny at eglug.org
Sun Apr 4 13:41:01 CEST 2010

On Sun, Apr 04, 2010 at 08:50:26PM +1000, Vafa Khalighi wrote:

>     I simply swap the meaning of r and l in my head, which means less code
>     to write, and I get all table package to work without any effort, also
>     if I've code to generate tables (or if I copy tables from rtl to ltr
>     parts of the document) I get the same expected result without altering
>     my tables, try:
>
>     \documentclass{article}
>
>     \begin{document}
>     \begin{tabular}{ l c r }
>      aa & 2 & ggg \\
>      bcd & 5 & cd \\
>      e & 8 & f \\
>     \end{tabular}
>
>     \bgroup
>     \luatexmathdir TRT
>     \begin{tabular}{ l c r }
>      aa & 2 & ggg \\
>      bcd & 5 & cd \\
>      e & 8 & f \\
>     \end{tabular}
>
>     \egroup
>     \end{document}
>
>     The cells will be aligned as expected, though in the second table right
>     is actually left etc.
>

> No, this is clearly a bug and you have got to fix that.

Well, I don't think fixing bugs in my *head* is that easy.

> Things are supposed to
> work in the general way, if "r" stands for right alignment, whether you are
> doing RTL or LTR it should mean the same thing, you can not just consider
> yourself and ignore the rest of people.

I still have a very valid reasons for my ill doings, I want to keep
things as simple as it can, and make sharing code between rtl and ltr
documents more easy, so I simply consider right and left here as
misnomers of start and end, this makes it more logical. If I were to
write a tabular package myself, I would then use the neutral start/end
nomenclature.

> If you want to do proper bidi implementation as done in bidi package, you have
> got to deal with these. Of course tabular is a very small example.

To me, swapping the meaning of r and l is a misfeature (like the
automatic footnote thing that I never seen in a real world book;
footnotes in Arabic books are aligned to right no mutter what the actual
footnote text it.)