[latexrefman] node \par

Vincent Belaïche vincent.belaiche at gmail.com
Mon Aug 9 08:11:42 CEST 2021

Answering again to myself. Read in node Modes:

@dfn{Paragraph mode} is what @LaTeX{} is in when processing ordinary
text.  It breaks
the input text into lines and breaks the lines into pages.

I would remove the « breaks the lines into pages ». Don't you have to
resort to vertical mode when a page break occur. There is some \vplit
of the current paragraph box at the best possible breakpoint in order
to add it to the outer vertical list in order to keep the page from
overflowing. See TeXByTopic chap 27.

Am I wrong ?

This is rather mysterious to me: doesn't it means that when building a
box through the paragraph line breaking process TeX keeps track of the
potential good break points positions. Then, is there some way to
retrieve explicitely these good positions, or is that hard-coded and
hidden in TeX guts. I am wondering about this after this discussion
https://github.com/olpa/tex/issues/6

  V.