[latexrefman] node \par

Vincent Belaïche vincent.belaiche at gmail.com
Mon Aug 9 05:55:47 CEST 2021

I came accross this statement (node \par):

   In LR mode or a vertical mode the '\par' command does nothing but it
terminates paragraph mode, switching LaTeX to vertical mode (*note
Modes::).

It is hard to understand. I propose to change this as follows

In LR mode the \par command does nothing and is ignored.
In paragraphe mode the '\par' command terminates paragraph mode,
switching LaTeX to vertical mode (*note
Modes::).

While I am at it, I think we need to mention in the Modes node that
(am I wrong?)
1) ``paragraph mode'' is named `ùnrestricted horizontal mode'' in plain TeX,
2) ``horizontal mode'' means either unrestricted horizontal (aka
paragraph) or restricted horizontal (aka LR) mode
3) ``vertical mode'' means ``outer vertical'' or `ìnner vertical mode''

Comments welcome.
  V.