[latexrefman] Added section on \stretch

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sun Jul 4 23:06:00 CEST 2021

    (I understand Lamport's book to say that the argument must be
    integral, but testing seems to me to show that it can be any
    number.)

Yes, it can be any number:

ltspace.dtx:1310:\def\stretch#1{\z@ \@plus #1fill\relax}

i.e., the expansion is "0pt plus #1fill", and certainly any <number> is
allowable as the factor for fil(l)(l) value

Aside: personally, I find LaTeX's obscurantism less than helpful. I
often have to use actual fil, fill, filll units. There's a reason why
they exist.  Anyway, the new section looks good to me, FWIW. --best, karl.