[latexrefman] Storage bin

Vincent Belaïche vincent.belaiche at gmail.com
Fri Dec 25 14:15:35 CET 2020

Hello Jim,

I did not know Lamport had used this term. I finally found box
register is more commonly used in the TeX world
(https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/519669/when-should-i-use-a-box-register-rather-than-def),
so I switched to this term for the memory resource, and I also used
variable (or variable name) for the @var{box-cmd} control sequence
allowing the user to refer to this resource. I did the change also in
the English version, so when you find again some time, you will have
to review all my small little changes to double check the language.

Here is the change
http://svn.gnu.org.ua/viewvc/latexrefman/trunk/latex2e.texi?r1=887&r2=886&pathrev=887

One motivation for the change is also that I believe that the term
register is far easier to understand by non native English speakers
than the term bin (e.g the French for register is almost always
registre, while the French for bin can be depending on the context
benne, bac, case, trémie, seau, fichier, compartiment, classe, fiche,
etc…. To me, bin in English mainly rings a bell with doing
histogram-like statistics, counting the population of some classes.
Box register is also a more accurate term, as under the hood there is
some \box command which just as \count is used to adress counter
registers can be used to adress box registers, meaning that there is
some register bank of 256 or 32768 registers.

Happy holiday to you too !

 Vincent.