[latexrefman] if it has been rotated by -90 then it will have zero height but a large depth.

Hefferon, Jim S. jhefferon at smcvt.edu
Fri Jun 5 23:48:12 CEST 2020

Great.  Makes sense.

Stay well,
Jim

---------------
Vote.

From: Vincent Belaïche <vincent.belaiche at gmail.com>
Sent: Friday, June 5, 2020 16:50
To: Hefferon, Jim S.
Cc: latexrefman
Subject: Re: [latexrefman] if it has been rotated by -90 then it will have zero height but a large depth.

⚠ External Sender ⚠

Hello Jim,
The discussion is that the statement « if it was rotated » was unclear
to me, when I wrote the email in the first place I was unaware of the
angle & origin \includegraphics options (I always used \rotatebox) and
I also missed the point about default origin (I had a misconception
that the default was c, but it is lB).

So I even wondered we meant that the graphic file was obtained by
rotating some other graphic files by some external command like
  magick convert standing_vincent.jpg -rotate -90 lying_vincent.jpg
Then how the height/depth stuff will be arranged really depend on the
external program.
And if I use \rotatebox, then it will be outside the \includegraphics,
not inside, so I would do
\rotatebox{-90}{\includegraphics{standing_vincent.jpg}}
Even with \rotatebox it really depends on the origin, if origin=c then
you get equal depth and height, don't you ?

So, OK, in the end I noticed that there are these angle & origin
options --- I did not know about them.

OK so may be we should just replace « if it was rotated » by « if it
was rotated with option angle=-90 and option origin left to default »
for the unaware reader to look further in the description.

   V.