[latexrefman-discuss] \emptyset and other math symbols...

Vincent Belaïche vincent.belaiche at domain.hid
Thu Mar 10 00:12:09 CET 2016

Le 09/03/2016 00:01, Karl Berry a écrit :
> Some belated replies on your previous message ...
>
>     Well, to my knowlegde, it is not reversed.
>
> Right.

Ok, I will remove that in my next commit.

>     2) \varnothing looks better (a diagonally stiked-though circle, whereas
>        \emptyet looks like a diagonally stiked-though zero).
>
> Not "better", just "different".  Some people prefer the striked-through
> circle and others the striked-through zero.  ("Striked-through" doesn't
> sound exactly right to me, but my brain isn't coming up with a better
> term right now.)

I agree, stiked-though sounds to me like an horizontal strike, but not
being a native speaker, I have not any idea if my impression is right.

> I know what you're trying to get at, but "tack" wouldn't be used in
> English for these.  As far as I know.
>
>     stile turning on the left
>
> That doesn't sound right to me either.  Let me think about it.
>
>     \epsilon is termed « Greek-text ».
>
> "Text" isn't right, but it is a Greek letter, of course.

Ok, I will remove « text », I think that the intention was to mean that
in Greek text (not math formula) the epsilon used looks more often like
\epsilon than like \varepsilon. That is why I had proposed rephrasing
like « lower case Greek letter (ordinary). Looks like Greek-text
letter. »

>     Would it be good to add to the English text « lunar »
>
> Lunar?  No.  But "curly" doesn't seem quite right either.  Again, I'll
> have to ponder.

Please note that in some other part of the node (namely the « \in »
entry), it is termed as « rounded small epsilon ».

does not sound right to me either, because \varepsilon is not curly
(« petit et arrondi » in French) because the lunar epsilon is also small
& rounded, so that is not distinctive. That is why I have written « en
be better. Another idea would be « avec une paire de fesses » (ie « with
if this wording is OK for everybody, at least it has the merits to be
funny.

> Thanks,

VBR,
	Vincent.