[latexrefman-discuss] \newenvironment (non starred) vs \newenvironment* (starred)

Johannes Böttcher johannesbottcher at domain.hid
Tue Nov 10 14:45:29 CET 2015

I use latex2e.pdf on a regular basis. I consider myself a user who knows
the basics and tiny bit more. I know l2tabu. I know eqnarray is bad and why.

Documenting the starred versions and how they differ from the normal
version is important. Giving advice on which one to choose for which
occasion shouldn't be around. Advice not to overdo it with rules in
tables shouldn't be here as well.

I think those advice are better suited for an introduction like lshort.

On the other hand, it doesn't matter what advice is put in this manual
that much. Any advice could be the best in the world ...

I attended a introduction to LaTeX yesterday, for university students.
The presenter said you need to load package `graphicx' to use the
`figure' environment. I talked to him and digged around (thanks to
cgnieder) and ... This was actually to be found in the german version of
the LaTeX-wikibook. Anybody starting and not knowing about eqnarray etc.
will find the wikibook first (i know i did) and i think that improving
that instance by giving the good advice there, and removing the junk is
more helpful for users. This isn't limited to the german or english
version.

OT: Vincent, my french is more than a bit rusty. Would you mind reading
a bit in the french version? Is it littered with bad advice as well?
https://fr.wikibooks.org/wiki/LaTeX

In summary, keeping the straight facts in the manual we are talking
about, and get the beginners advice where it belongs.

My opinion of course.