[l2h] images generated for math have black bar at bottom

Berna Massingill bmassing at cs.trinity.edu
Sun Jul 15 02:03:39 CEST 2018

On Tue, Jan 09, 2018 at 06:18:13PM -0600, Berna Massingill wrote:

>>  (Top-posting because my reply is brief.)
>>
>>  The change you suggest to l2hconf.pm did the trick.  I'm embarrassed
>>  to admit that once I thought to look at this file in the previous,
>>  working version, well, this change was there too -- presumably why
>>  it worked! -- but somehow didn't get propagated with other local
>>  modifications to the new version.  Well, fixed now, and maybe I'll
>>  remember next time!

Following up because I've tripped over the same problem in installing
a 2018 version of latex2html:

To recap, the problem turned out to be that l2hconf.pm had this line:

$DVIPSOPT = ' -Ppdf  -E';

instead of this line:

$DVIPSOPT = ' -E';

I wondered how I had missed copying this configuration tweak when
I copied over the others, but I think I understand now how that
happened:

l2hconf.pm is apparently generated from l2hconf.pin, and for the
other configuration tweaks I modified l2hconf.pin, and these tweaks
were carried over to the generated l2hconf.pm.  But the tweak for
DVIPSOPT ....  I haven't tried to dig into code and figure out how
the line for DVIPSOPT in l2hconf.pm is generated, but it seems to
be put together from various lines in l2hconf.pin, and here are
the ones that seem to me to be relevant:

$DVIPSOPT = '@DVIPSOPT@';
# $DVIPSOPT .= ' -M';
 $DVIPSOPT .= " -E";
# $DVIPSOPT .= " -r0";
# $DVIPSOPT .= " -Ppdf";
#  $DVIPSOPT .= " -Pgs";

What I don't understand is how l2hconf.pm can end up as it does
(with -E and -Ppdf, but none of the other flags).

Maybe it doesn't really matter since I seem to have a workaround,
but still, I find this puzzling and would be glad of an explanation!

-- blm

bmassing at cs.trinity.edu