[l2h] Some mathematical images in my case not fully processed by LaTeX2HTML 1.71 using both an old and a new .tex file

Pat Somerville l_pat_s at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 11 07:12:39 CEST 2013

Hello.  I checked the dates of "builds" of software packages that I have installed and with names of software packages that LaTeX2HTML requires and found that a number of them were "built" before I installed a working pair of LaTeX and LaTeX2HTML computer programs in an openSUSE-12.3 Linux operating system by about March 20, 2013. For example, for the software packages Netpbm and Perl, which LaTeX2HTML requires, the dates of the "builds" of them that I now have installed in my Linux operating system are earlier in time than the date of my installations of openSUSE-12.3 Linux, LaTeX, and LaTeX2HTML which gratefully worked well together in late March of the year 2013. But yet something apparently changed in the software installed in my openSUSE-12.3, Linux operating system between late March of the year 2013 and early July of the same year to cause a problem for LaTeX2HTML 1.71.

Today I provide additional information which may or may not provide clues to why "Image" instead of "1/2" appeared in equation mode in the .html (HyperText Markup Language) equivalent produced by LaTeX2HTML 1.71 of the LaTeX code y=\frac{1}{2}x^2. For discussion purposes here I use the fictitious file name MyFile.tex; my actual file name is different from MyFile.tex. As a non-root user after executing a command of the form "latex MyFile.tex" and then a command of the form "latex2html ......... MyFile.tex," I saw in the output

"Images will be generated in /tmp/l2h1683

Error: Unlink "WARNINGS" failed: Permission denied at /usr/bin/latex2html line 9269. Cannot create directory 'TMP': Permission denied

.

And afterwards I did not find the subdirectory l2h1683 in the /tmp directory.

Executing the command of the form "latex2html ........ MyFile.tex" as a root user I think eliminated such error messages. But unfortunately still the desired "1/2" did not appear in the output, .html file in equation mode.

I unstalled the openSUSE-12.3 software package called "latex2html" and reinstalled it using Yet another Software Tool 2 (YaST2). Things worsened.---After a command of the form "latex MyFile.tex" the file html.sty was reported as not found. But html.sty was in the directory /usr/lib/texmf/tex/latex/html. So please explain how I can make LaTeX2HTML "find" it there. Anyhow, copying html.sty from /usr/lib/texmf/tex/latex/html to my directory in which I store .tex files and running a command of the form "latex MyFile.tex" there was what one might call a "workaround" solution that enabled "LaTeX2HTML" to "locate" a copy of the file html.sty. After executing a command of the form "latex2html ...... MyFile.tex," the desired "1/2" in equation mode still did not appear in the produced file with a name of the form MyFile.html. Inserting ? in each of two lines of code in the file /usr/bin/latex2html according to http://tug.org/mailman/htdig/latex2html/2008-December/003489.html eliminated mathend# appearing in place of mathematics in text of the .html output file.

I experimented and found that as a non-root user in the Konqueror Web browser and file manager I could make a test subdirectory and delete it. As a root user I entered the command "lsattr -d /tmp" and obtained a result similar to "----------e-- /tmp" with the "e" standing for "extent," meaning that files would be written in contiguous fashion in the probably ext4 file system in which my openSUSE-12.3 partition of my computer's hard-disk drive was written. So that result was okay. I also entered the command "getfacl /tmp" to obtain an access control list and afterwards saw that the /tmp directory had read, write, and execute permissions for that directory's "Owner," for "Group", and for "Others". In addition there appeared the line "#flags --t" in the output after entering the command "getfacl /tmp". The "t" indicated that the "sticky bit" was set, meaning that only a root user could delete or rename files in the directory /tmp; I assume the same thing would apply to subdirectories of /tmp. As a root user entering the change mode (chmod) command "chmod -t /tmp" to unset the sticky bit did not help to have "1/2" in the .html output resulting from a command of the form "latex2html ...... MyFile.tex". So I reset the sticky bit with the command "chmod +t /tmp". The summary of this paragraph is that I found nothing restrictive in the ordinary or extended attributes of the directory /tmp that should have prevented latex2html from making a subdirectory within it with a name of the form l2h......

The image of the factor of 1/2 needed in equation mode apparently was not written into into a .png (Portable Network Graphics) image file. Please help me solve the problems of making the image of 1/2 appear in equation mode and of enabling LaTeX2HTML to "locate" the file /usr/lib/texmf/tex/latex/html/html.sty.

Pat