[l2h] latex2html example broken?!

alessandro basili alessandro.basili at cern.ch
Tue Sep 6 18:21:03 CEST 2011

On 9/5/2011 4:06 PM, alessandro basili wrote:
> On 8/8/2011 8:17 PM, alessandro basili wrote:
>> It has been a while that I've been through this and I hoped to sort it
>> out myself but didn't manage so far.
>> I installed the following package:
>> [123 at pc456 789]$ latex2html -version
>> This is LaTeX2HTML Version 2008 (1.71)
>> by Nikos Drakos, Computer Based Learning Unit, University of Leeds.
>> on my Fedora Core 11, where latex is installed with the following version:
>> [123 at pc456 789]$ latex
>> This is pdfTeXk, Version 3.141592-1.40.3 (Web2C 7.5.6)
>> I did make the example (since I wanted to follow the segmentation
>> approach), but the link numbers on the report.html where wrong, while
>> everything was fine in the report.dvi and report.ps.
>> So looking at the make output I realized that perl had deprecated the $*
>> symbol and changed it with /m, so after some struggles I found this patch:
>> https://build.opensuse.org/package/view_file?file=latex2html-2008-match-multiline.patch&package=latex2html&project=Publishing&srcmd5=bc1b27d34720a95f26b71ffcd2f58dca
>> and applied it to my installation.
> I installed the package from scratch to avoid casting any doubts on the
> aforementioned patch. But the issue is still the same:
> http://ams.cern.ch/AMS/Basili/temp/report/
> As you may see the "First Subsection" has clearly wrong number.
> You may check the make output here:
> http://ams.cern.ch/AMS/Basili/temp/make.out
>> I got rid of all the warning for $* but still have a problem when the
>> report.aux is checked:
> They are back now.
>> Processing macros ...,,,, *** Could not find argument for command
>> \providecommand ***
>> \HyPL at Entry[1]<<56>><<56>>
>> Any idea why this is happening?
> Still no idea why that is happening.

After some testing I suspect that latex apparently handles incorrectly
the section numbers, even though the .dvi output is correct. When
processing report.tex, latex writes the section counters in the sec1.ptr
and sec2.ptr which can be found here:


These files are used by latex2html

Apparently if the \tableofcontents and \listoffigures are moved after
the \segment commands then the numbering is correct, as if the mentioned
commands increase the section counters.

If, instead of using the Makefile which comes with the installation
package, I manually run the following commands:

latex report.tex
latex report.tex
dvips -o report.ps report

edit sec1.ptr and sec2.ptr to adjust the counters

latex2html -various options sec1.tex
latex2html -variuos options sec2.tex
latex2html -various options sec1.tex
latex2html -various options report.tex

I do not obtain the correct output.

On the contrary, if I modify the sec1.tex and sec2.tex including the
following line:

\setcounter {lsection}{1}

in "htmlonly" part after the \input{sec1.ptr}

the output is correct.
I don't like the fix since it overwrites the natural location which is
defined in the report.tex (parent file), but I hope it may give some
hints to the experts to find out where the problem is.

I will continue to investigate,


More information about the latex2html mailing list