[l2h] In my LaTeX2HTML-produced, .html file the references don't look good. What am I missing?

Pat Somerville l_pat_s at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 30 06:32:27 CET 2011

Hello. I have been using:

the September 24, 2009 version of LaTeX 2e,
BibTeX 0.99b,
by the command \usepackage[sort&compress]{natbib} the natbib software
package with the options sort&compress and with the additional command
\bibpunct{}{}{,}{s}{} (similar to at
http://www.andy-roberts.net/writing/latex/bibliographies on the Internet),
the apsrev4-1.bst bibliographic style file of REVTeX 4.1 called in a
.tex-file command of the form \bibliographystyle{apsrev4-1}, and
LaTeX2HTML 1.71

in an openSUSE-11.4, Linux operating system. This is my first attempt to try
to produce a letter for distribution to some other people which uses
automatically numbered references, figures, tables, and equations and which
uses a .bib, bibliography file external to my .tex file; for that matter I
may not have even used BibTeX before this attempt.

My use of several commands with natbib followed the advice of I think Daniel
Els at
http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/15677/revtex-4-1-bibliography-style-in-other-classes.
Similar to the procedure mentioned at
http://www.wujiewen.com/faq/content/2/33/en/how-to-use-latex2html-to-convert-my-paper-to-webpages.html, I
performed program executions of the following forms, here using the
fictitious name MyFile:

latex MyFile.tex
bibtek MyFile
latex MyFile.tex
latex MyFile.tex
latex2html............MyFile.tex
latex2html............MyFile.tex
.
For my .bib-file entry

@article{RAT92,
      author="M. Rath and L. Pauling",
      title="",
      journal={J. Orthomolecular Medicine},
      volume="{\bf 7}",
      number="1",
      pages="5",
      year="1992"}

BibTeX and/or LaTeX produced in the .bbl, output file

\bibitem [{\citenamefont {Rath}\ and\ \citenamefont
{Pauling}(1992)}]{RAT92}%
      \BibitemOpen
      \bibfield {author} {\bibinfo {author} {\bibfnamefont {M.}~\bibnamefont
      {Rath}}\ and\ \bibinfo {author} {\bibfnamefont {L.}~\bibnamefont
{Pauling}},\
      }\href at noop {} {\bibfield {journal} {\bibinfo {journal} {J.
Orthomolecular
     Medicine},\ }\textbf {\bibinfo {volume} {{\bf 7}}},\ \bibinfo {pages}
{5}
     (\bibinfo {year} {1992})}\BibitemShut {NoStop}%

and in the .dvi (DeVice-Independent), output file

[22] M. Rath and L. Pauling, J. Orthomolecular Medicine, 7, 5, (1992).

with the volume number 7 in a bold typeface.

But LaTeX2HTML, executed by a command of the form

latex2html -nonavigation -no_math -html_version 3.2,math -split 0 MyFile.tex

, correspondingly produced in its output, .html (HyperText Markup Language)
file

22 author author M. Rath -
bibinfo author L. Pauling,#18543#> journal journal J. Orthomolecular
Medicine,#18056#>volume 7,
bibinfo pages 5 (year 1992)NoStop

instead of something close to what appeared in the .dvi file, and in a
terminal program from which LaTeX2HTML was executed the following messages:

Unknown commands: citenamefont captionsetup bibfnamefont citenum enquote ed
bibnamefont BibitemShut ( href_at_noon BibitemOpen
bibfield < natexlib bibinfo
.
Note that among the commands "reported" as unknown by LaTeX2HTML,
citenamefont, bibfnamefont, bibnamefont, BibitemShut, as well as
BibitemOpen, bibfield, and bibinfo all appear in the entry of the .bbl file
which LaTeX2HTML is supposed to be using. And it appears from the .html
output file that LaTeX2HTML did indeed "read" M. Rath, L. Pauling, J.
Orthomolecular Medicine, 7, 5, and 1992 from the .bbl file. The command or
software package citenum was used in my .tex file in the command
\newcommand{\onlinecite}[1]{\hspace{-1 ex} \nocite{#1}\citenum{#1}},
following advice from
http://www.latex-community.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=8897. The purpose
of that command was to allow the use of this custom \onlinecite{...} command
in text so that reference numbers could appear on the base line of text,
rather than as superscripts dictated by the "s" for superscript in the
.tex-file command \bibpunct{}{}{,}{s}{}. As far as just the correct
reference numbers appearing was concerned, that custom \onlinecite{..}
command worked for me in the .dvi file produced by LaTeX, but not in the
.html file produced by LaTeX2HTML, perhaps because LaTeX2HTML did not
"recognize" citenum in the \newcommand.... in my .tex file to define the
custom \onlinecite{..} command (Instead in the .html file the reference
"KEY" for a reference appeared [RAT92 is the reference key in the .bib-file
entry I discussed earlier here.]; it was desired to have had an internally
hyperlinked reference number there in the .html file corresponding to a
.tex-file command of the form \onlinecite{KEY}.). I also used captionsetup
in my .tex file in the command
\captionsetup[subfigure]{labelformat=empty,labelsep=none} along with
\usepackage{.....,caption,....}.

Following a suggestion posted by Professor Ross Moore for a different
problem than mine in the Internet thread which includes
http://www.mail-archive.com/latex2html@tug.og/msg02874.html, but might be in
a later reply to that message posted on that Web page, I found the file
/usr/share/doc/packages/latex2html/dot.latex2hmtl-init and in it after
"###Other global variables" entered a comment line of my own with a # at its
beginning and the pair of statements:

if($DO_INCLUDE) {$DO_INCLUDE .= ':bbl'}
else{ $DO_INCLUDE = 'bbl'};

. Did I enter those lines in the correct file and in an acceptable location
in that file? But unfortunately the result of such entry was no noticeable
improvement for me in the bibliographic entries in the .html file produced
from the .bbl file by the program LaTeX2HTML. What did I miss in all of this
that 1) prevented the references in the .html file from looking as good as
they did in the .dvi file and 2) prevented the custom \onlinecite{..}
command from working in the .html file?

Pat