[l2h] In my LaTeX2HTML-produced, .html file the references don't look good. What am I missing?

Pat Somerville l_pat_s at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 2 07:40:54 CET 2011

Hello again.  When using the software package natbib and its bibliographic
style file plainnat.bst in a .tex file gratefully I learned a way to obtain
reference numbers both on the base line of text and as superscripts in both
the .dvi file produced by the September 24, 2009 version of LaTeX 2e and the
.html file produced by LaTeX2HTML 1.71 (These are automatically numbered
reference numbers corresponding to reference keys, for example "RAT92" for
the reference M. Rath and L. Pauling, J. Orthomolecular Medicine 7(1), 5
(1992), in a special format in a .bib file.).  In the .tex file that uses
natbib and its plainnat.bst for plain reference numbers with no parentheses
or brackets or pairs of something else surrounding them and for commas to
separate a series of reference numbers, include the command

\bibpunct{}{}{,}{n}{}

in the .tex file.  (I think the "n" stands for numeric reference citations
on the base line of the text.  Instead of "n" an "s" there would stand for
superscripted numbers for the reference citations.  I think the references
are supposed to be numbered in the order in which they are cited in the .tex
document.)  This will replace the numerical reference equivalent of
\cite{RAT92} on the base line of text with the reference number
corresponding to the example reference key "RAT92" of a reference with data
for it listed in a .bib file.  The LaTeX command $^{\cite{RAT92}}$ in the
.tex file will corresponded to that reference number as well, but
superscripted.  A beautiful thing about this procedure is that gratefully 1)
it worked this way for reference numbers, both on the base line of text and
as superscripts, in both the .dvi file produced by using the September 24,
2009 version of LaTeX 2e with BibTeX 0.99d and the .html file produced by
LaTeX2HTML 1.71. So using natbib and its plainnat.bst with the line
\bib{}{}{,}{n}{} in the .tex file it is as if \cite{...} becomes the
equivalent of REVTeX 4.1's \onlinecite{...}, where here I think online
refers to having the reference number appear on the base line of text, not
to being on the Internet.  Done in this way a new command does not have to
be made for a custom \onlinecite{...} built for use with natbib like the
\onlinecite{...} command that works with REVTeX 4.1.  So 2) this avoids the
problem of LaTeX2HTML 1.71 not "recognizing" the citenum variable or command
that was used in the custom-built \onlinecite{...} command!  Furthermore
when using natbib and plainnat.bst it appeared that I obtained
similar-looking references in my bibliography without using the
revtex-custom.bib file discussed at
http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/15677/revtex-4-1-bibliography-style-in-other-classes
on the Internet.

Now I discuss a different problem of an internal hyperlink in my table of
contents, which is called "Contents," to "Bibliography" not working. That is
in a .tex file the statements \tableofcontents and \bibliography{MyBib},
where MyBib.bib is a file with the fictitious name MyBib.bib containing
reference data, produced A) the hyperlinked entry "Bibliography" in
"Contents" and B) the heading "Bibliography" appearing in the .dvi and .html
files corresponding to where the equivalent of \bibliography{MyBib} was
placed in the .tex file.  But in the .html file produced by LaTeX2HTML 1.71
clicking on that hyperlink did not "take" me to the "Bibliography" heading
above the list of references in my document.

Here is a "workaround" solution for that problem.  With .html file open in a
Web browser one can right-button-click on its contents and select "View
Document Source" or something similar to that.  In my Konqueror Web browser
that opened a text editor, in my case the text editor called Kate.  Then I
could see the HTML (HyperText Markup Language) code for that .html file.
For the fictitious file name MyFile.html it looked equivalent to this at the
"Bibliography" entry in the "Contents:"

<LI><A NAME="tex2html139"
    HREF="MyFile.html#SECTION00700000000000000000>Bibliography</A>
</UL>

.  Then at the section of my document headed by "Bibliography" the HTML code
looked equivalent to this:

<P>
<H2><A NAME="SECTIONREF">Bibliography</A>
</H2>

In this case replacing "SECTIONREF" with "SECTION00700000000000000000" and
then saving the file in the text editor Kate was probably enough to make the
"Bibliography" internal hyperlink in "Contents" work.  I wanted to have
Bibligraphy numbered in both locations, too, since it was not numbered for
me by using the -show_section_numbers option in my latex2html command.  So
in addition I changed "Bibliography" to "6 Bibliography" in each of the two
locations in the above document source code.  Is there a LaTeX command one
can use to make that "Bibliography" internal hyperlink in "Contents" work
without the need to edit the HTML document source code in the .html file
produced by LaTeX2HTML 1.71?  Adding something like

\label{Refs}
\section{Bibliography}

ahead of \bibliography{MyBib} I think resulted in hyperlinked "Bibliography"
being listed twice in "Contents" and probably also with two instances of
"Bibliography" appearing further down in the document, in each case doubling
that I don't want.

Pat