[l2h] Black bars under integral signs when thelimitsof integration are -\infty and +\infty or analgebraicfraction for each of the upper and lower limits

Pat Somerville l_pat_s at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 16 03:39:59 CEST 2011

Thanks, Nasser M. Abbasi, for kindly informing me that you have been using
Nepbm 10.0.  Please don't take this personally.  That is take me as a
"cause-of-a-problem hunter."  If you were to update Netpbm from version 10.0
to version 10.35.74 and you would afterwards see the unwanted black line
segment under the .html equivalent of \int\limits _{-\infty}^{+infty}, then
the newer version of Netpbm would be worse with respect to unwanted black
line segment under the integral sign and its limits than your older version
of Netpbm.  And if so, furthermore within Netpbm 10.35.74 the problem of
perhaps too narrow a rectangle enclosing the image could be started in
pngtopnm, pnmcrop, or pnmtopng.  But you might not want to upgrade to Netpbm
10.35.74 just to make such a test.---You might instead prefer to obtain an
even newer version of Netpbm.  But thanks to Dr. Shigeharu Takeno we have at
least one other, perhaps more general solution to eliminating the unwanted
black segments under images that extend or otherwise would extend beyond
their enclosing rectangles, namely to use \hspace{....} I suppose on the
left or right side where the mathematical expression would extend over,
respectively, the left or right border.--Professor Ross Moore's solution,
mentioned to us within the past 48 hours or so, of using \phantom to gain
more horizontal space very possibly might well turn out to be another
solution.  Thanks, Nasser M. Abbasi, for your kind attention to the problem
I faced!

Pat