[l2h] Black bars under integral signs when the limitsof integration are -\infty and +\infty or an algebraicfraction for each of the upper and lower limits

Pat Somerville l_pat_s at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 13 06:08:49 CEST 2011

Here is more information on this issue of unwanted black line segments under
especially the .html equivalent of a portion of the LaTeX command \in\limits
_{-\infty}^{+\infty}.  For LaTeX and LaTeX2HTML use currently I am using an
OpenSUSE-11.3 Linux operating system; LaTeX2e of September 24, 2009;
LaTeX2HTML Version 2008 (1.71); Netpbm 10.35.74-2.21.i586 (Netpbm 10.35.74
compiled on July 5, 2010); and, according to the LaTeX2HTML output, dvips(k)
5.98 of the year 2009.

1) My test LaTeX file Throwaway7.tex contained a portion of a LaTeX command
that was close to \int\limits _{-\infty}^{+\infty}.  The command "latex
Throwaway7.tex" produced the file Throwaway7.dvi.  After opening that .dvi
file with the program Okular there was no black line segment underlining the
integral sign and its limits.  So this prompts a conceivable workaround
solution that ought to work to produce the integral sign and its limits
without the undesirable black line segment in a .html file using LaTeX2HTML:

Conceivable workaround solution A

a) Print onto paper the page of the .dvi file containing the desired
mathematical expression without an unwanted black line segment underlining
it.

b) Scan that piece of paper with a scanner.  For the scanner program used
with my scanner unfortunately .png (Portable Network Graphics) is not among
the available choices of formats for scanned files; however, even if I could
produce a .png document with my scanning program, I would not know how to
make LaTeX2HTML use it as a portion of an equation.  So instead I could
choose the Mult-Tagged Image File Format, .tif file for the scanned file and
in the next step work with it.

c) With the Gnu Not Unix (GNU) Image Manipulation Program (GIMP) 2.6.8 I
could conceivably convert the .tif file to an Encapsulated PostScript (.eps)
file suitable for use as a figure in a .tex, LaTeX document.

d) Run latex and latex2html.... commands on the resulting .tex file to
produce mathematical expressions without the undesired black line segments
under some of them.

Conceivable workaround solution B

In the .tex file define $a=-\infty$ and $b=+\infty$.  Then in the equation
for normally \int\limits _{-\infty}^{+\infty} instead use \int\limits
_{a}^{b}.

2) Some old solutions to eliminating unwanted, black line segments which
unfortunately failed for me this time in an OpenSUSE-11.3, Linux operating
system using LaTeX2HTML Version 2008 (1.71):

a) In the file /usr/lib/latex2html/l2hconf.pm with the line $DVIPSOPT
.=" -Pdpf" already commented out with a # in front of it, as suggested by
Shigeharu Takeno in at least August of 2009, also commenting out the line
$DVIPSOPT = ' -Ppdf -E';    .

b) Running eqnfix.sh from http://www.vyvy.org/main/en/node/102 on the
Internet with a command like this: "./eqnfix.sh Directory" in the directory
above "Directory" to generate new and/or fixed .png images in the directory
called "Directory."

I think that probably each of these methods "a" and "b" was successful in
eliminating some undesired, vertical, black line segments in .png images in
the year 2009 for me in an openSuSE-11.1 Linux operating system using
probably LaTeX2HTML 1.70.

3) I experimented with using small font sizes for the limits of integration
of positive and negative infinity, like for example this: \int\limits
_{\mbox{\fontsize{1}{1}\selectfont
$-\infty$}}^{\mbox{\fontsize{1}{1}\selectfont $+\infty$}}.  But doing that
did not eliminate the unwanted black line segment underneath the integral
sign.  However, interestingly changing the upper limit to a digit like 0 or
1 did eliminate the unwanted black line segment under the integral sign.
But having 0 as the upper limit of integration is not what one would
normally want when the upper limit is supposed to be positive infinity.  One
could probably write the equivalent of "-infinity integral to + infinity"
instead as "-infinity integral to 0" minus "+infinity integral to 0".  But I
would like to avoid eliminating the unwanted black line segments in that
perhaps awkward-looking way.

4) It might be useful for some other people to try this experiment in a test
LaTeX file called, say Test.tex:

\begin{equation}
\int\limits _{-\infty}^{\infty}
\end{equation}

, and then to issue the commands "latex Test.tex" and "latex2html
nonavigation -no_math -html version 3.2,math -split 0 Test.tex".  Then in
the resulting output file Test.html if there is no unwanted black line
segment under the resulting integral sign, please report to us the versions
of the following software packages you used:

Netpbm (For example obtain its version via the command "netpbm -version" or
"Netpbm -version" in a Linux operating system.)
dvips (Please look at the output after a latex2html command for the version
of dvips you are using.)
LaTeX2HTML  (Please look at the output after a latex2html command for the
version of LaTeX2HTML you are using.)

and what form of the command $DVIPSOPT... is uncommented out, if any, and
what values there are for the commands $MATH_SCALE_FACTOR=... and
$DISP_SCALE_FACTOR=..in your file l2hconf.pm, which in my OpenSUSE-11.3,
Linux operating system appears in the directory /usr/lib/latex2html.
Perhaps there is some modern combination of software in which the unwanted
black line segment does not appear under the integral sign and its limits.
Or else if someone has a working solution to avoid the problem of the
unwanted horizontal line segment, I would like to know what it is and what
the details of your software environment are.

Pat