[l2h] Black bars under integral signs when the limits of integration are -\infty and +\infty or an algebraic fraction for each of the upper and lower limits

Pat Somerville l_pat_s at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 11 21:15:51 CEST 2011

Thanks, Nasser M. Abbasi, for kindly taking the time to reply to me.  I
found the file /usr/lib/latex2html/l2hconf.pm.  In it among other lines the
following lines existed, but not necessarily consecutively:

$DVIPSOPT .=" -E"; (Please notice the period before the equals sign.)

$MATH_SCALE_FACTOR=1.6;

#$DISP_SCALE_FACTOR=1;

So after receiving your e-mail letter I changed two of those lines to read:

$MATH_SCALE_FACTOR=1.8;

$DISP_SCALE_FACTOR=1.0;
.
Results in the .html file produced by LaTeX2HTML: The black line segment
under the integral sign with the limits of integration having algebraic
fractions in them was removed.  But the black line segments under integral
signs produced from the LaTeX commands containing \int\limits
_{-\infty}^{+\infty} remained.  Those were probably among 27 reported errors
on 27 images.  I don't know with which images all of the other errors were.
But I think I remember at least one pnmcrop-related error while latex2html
was processing my .tex file.

Next I changed to $MATH_SCALE_FACTOR=2.0; in the file l2hconf.pm and
otherwise did not change any other lines in that file.

Results: There were errors on 27 images.  The black segment under the
integral sign with algebraic fractional limits returned.

Continuing with the same settings in l2hconf.pm I made a test, .tex file
containing some commands very similar to

\begin{equation}
\int\limits _{-\infty}^{+\infty}
\end{equation}

and then produced a .html file from that .tex file using a latex2html...
command.  In the resulting .html file a black line segment existed under the
integral sign with the limits of positive and negative infinity.  What
should I do now to try to eliminate the unwanted black line segments under
some of the integral signs?  Note also that there were also around 20 images
with errors reported while latex2html attempted to generate them; and in
detail I don't yet know what obvious problems there were, if any, with the
associated mathematical symbols associated with the images for which errors
were reported by LaTeX2HTML.

Pat