[l2h] datetime and latex2html

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Sat Feb 14 00:41:54 CET 2009

Hello Lucio,

On 13/02/2009, at 10:28 PM, Lucio Chiappetti wrote:

> Now I need to prepare a different manual, so I thought to install the
> entire datetime stuff under ~/texmf/tex/latex/datetime
>
> Apparently this was enough for latex (actually pdflatex) to find
> the .sty
> files.

Yes; some TeX installations have a local directory structure
which is always searched, without the need to rebuild a database.

> But latex2html cannot find datetime (and fmtcount) in ~/texmf.

LaTeX2HTML uses Perl as the software engine;
this is not connected to the other software
used by tex, pdftex, dvips, etc.

> So far I resorted to the old trick of creating soft links to
> datetime.perl
> and fmtcount.perl in the directory where the tex source is.

That's one way to do it, but tedious if you
use these packages a lot.

> I did not find an obvious configuration variable in .latex2html-init
> (per-directory so far) which tells latex2html how to locate such
> "additional" files.

Try setting a value for  STEXINPUTS  within a  .latex2html-init file,
or within the  l2hinit.pm  for your LaTeX2HTML installation.

Alternatively, set TEXINPUTS  as an environment variable.

> I suppose I could install them into /usr/share/latex2html/styles where
> similar files are, but I'm not keen to do this in a system area
> which can
> be overwritten at system update, I'd prefer to use my own ~/texmf.

That should be fine, providing you tell LaTeX2HTML
which directories to search. It will not just find
extra  .perl  files in any automatic way.

> --
> Lucio Chiappetti - INAF/IASF - via Bassini 15 - I-20133 Milano (Italy)
> For more info : http://www.iasf-milano.inaf.it/~lucio/personal.html

Hope this helps,

	Ross

Ross Moore                                       ross at maths.mq.edu.au