[l2h] datetime and latex2html

Lucio Chiappetti lucio at lambrate.inaf.it
Fri Feb 13 12:28:37 CET 2009

Quite a while ago I happily used latex2html (the version bunbled with my
SuSE, 2002-2-1 (1.70)) to produce a manual. Since I needed the "datetime"
package, I simply put datetime.sty, datetime.perl (and also fmtcount.sty
and .per) in the same directory where the tex source of the manual is
(actually I softlinked them to a directory with the full datetime stuff).

Later on (while installing beamer) I learned to use the ~/texmf directory.

Now I need to prepare a different manual, so I thought to install the
entire datetime stuff under ~/texmf/tex/latex/datetime

Apparently this was enough for latex (actually pdflatex) to find the .sty
files.

But latex2html cannot find datetime (and fmtcount) in ~/texmf.

So far I resorted to the old trick of creating soft links to datetime.perl
and fmtcount.perl in the directory where the tex source is.

I did not find an obvious configuration variable in .latex2html-init
(per-directory so far) which tells latex2html how to locate such
"additional" files.

I suppose I could install them into /usr/share/latex2html/styles where
similar files are, but I'm not keen to do this in a system area which can
be overwritten at system update, I'd prefer to use my own ~/texmf.