[l2h] Ignoring \paragraph

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Thu Nov 9 07:19:36 CET 2006

Hello Algis,

On 09/11/2006, at 4:06 PM, Algis Kabaila wrote:

> Generally speaking, l2h translation does a magnificent job.
> However, the
> separate page creation can be a problem.  In several places, I have
> very
> small examples in the text and have marked them as \paragraph for the
> statement of example AND for the solution.  l2h creates a separate
> page for
> each paragraph, so I end up with some pages that only have one or
> two lines
> text.  So I would like latex2html "ignore" \paragraph moniker as
> far as page
> creation is concerned.

> I had a look at the l2hconf.pm file (long and well commented), but
> can not
> find how to tell l2h to "ignore" \paragraph.

Play with the  -split  command-line option,
or the  $MAX_SPLIT_DEPTH  parameter.

e.g.  look at the effect of each of

    latex2html -split 4 ...other options...  filename.tex
    latex2html -split 5 ...other options...  filename.tex
    latex2html -split 6 ...other options...  filename.tex

Keep increasing the number until you get what you want.
(I think 6 is correct, but it may depend upon which document-class
you are using.)

You may also need to adjust  -link <num>   which controls
the  $MAX_LINK_DEPTH  parameter, to ensure that you have
links to the separate pages.

> There is no way that I know to specify a small heading, other than
> paragraph.
> (\emph is really not suitable for that).  How can I stop the
> latex2html
> creating a separate page for each paragraph?  Is there an
> alternative way in
> LaTex markup to create headers for paragraphs that do not signal to
> latex2html to create a separate page?
>
> Does anybody else have a similar experience or is it just my old
> ignorance of
> the tools that are on my desktop?

The  -split <num>  and  -link <num>   are basic options which
need to be used to control this kind of situation.
It's actually a very common situation.

Some documents want all sectioning commands to start new pages;
others do not. The various options give you the control that
you need.

Ross Moore                                         ross at maths.mq.edu.au