[l2h] latex2html problem for lyx exported latex

Greg Gamble gregg at maths.uwa.edu.au
Mon May 29 04:32:09 CEST 2006

On Tue, May 23, 2006 at 10:44:04AM -0400, Tao, Tao (NIH/NLM/NCBI) [E] wrote:
> I would like to seek some insight from the more experienced users here
> over a problem I have dealing with Tables.
>
> I have a documents with numerous tables I generated using Lyx (1.3.7)
> under Windows. The problem I encountered is that when the exported latex
> is converted to html, the tables had only the header row. It seems that
> there is a threshold in number of tables it can handle,  ~30 to 40 or
> so, no matter whether the tables are in float table format or simple
> tabular material format.
>
> Actually, if there are too many float table, I have problem generating
> PDF, but tables in the exported error-ridden latex file can be
> converted.
>
> Has anyone experieced this? Is there any solution or workaround?

Dear Tao,

I haven't experienced it with LaTeX2HTML, but I used to experience this
sort of thing with straight LaTeX.

When there are a large number of floats, i.e. things in:

\begin{figure}
\end{figure}

or

\begin{table}
\end{table}

LaTeX can run out of memory. This is configurable, but my solution at the
time was to stop the floats floating, by using the float package, i.e.
adding:

\usepackage{float}

in the preamble of the .tex file, and adding the H option (which means:
`Here, absolutely!!!') to each of the floats, e.g.

\begin{figure}[H]

... this is stronger than the h! option of LaTeX (which I always found to
be ineffective). Anyway, since LaTeX unboxes the tables/figures straight
away to put them in the current page, rather than store them up for the
`optimum location', it doesn't run out of memory.

Anyway, that's the LaTeX solution, and the PDFLaTeX solution.

I'm not sure how that will affect things for LaTeX2HTML, but I thought things
just didn't float with LaTeX2HTML. So, I'm a bit surprised you had a problem
there.

Anyway, I guess someone else will have further advice.

Regards,
Greg Gamble