[l2h] latex2html and figure generation

Al Kabaila akabaila at pcug.org.au
Fri May 26 02:53:44 CEST 2006

Greetings from down-under,

I recently joined both the mailing list for l2h and the bunch of people that
use it.  I did experience some glitches, but thanks to the helpful advice
from Prof. Shigeharu TAKENO of this mailing list and will RSN prepare a
summary of his advice so that others can benefit from his contribution.

As far as figures are concerned, I have used JPG format without any glitches.
My OS is SuSE 10 (Linux) and my latex client editor is Kile.  Kile has an
excellent GUI interface and menu options to convert the TEX format to pdf and
to invoke latex2html, which produces the html format text and graphics.

I used windows drafting program, Turbo CAD, to produce the diagrams.  The
program has a provision for saving the vector-based drawings in JPG format.
After the production of jpg files, I copied them to my Linux system for
processing under Kile and latex2html.  The only glitch was that for printing
it was necessary first to save in pdf format.

This, it seems to me, is a convenient way of handling the graphic input,
particularly as digital cameras often save the images in jpg format.

If you wish, you are welcome to have a look at the results by opening my home
page at

http://www.pcug.org.au/~akabaila/

and clicking on the first link to "A Short Introduction to Structural
Analysis". A direct URL to it is as follows:

http://www.pcug.org.au/~akabaila/StructuralAnalysis/StructuralAnalysis.html

Kind regards,