[l2h] gray background for some images

Jean-Pierre Chretien Jean-Pierre.Chretien at cert.fr
Mon Jan 17 16:37:22 CET 2005

>>Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 15:48:07 +0100
>>From: Stefan Funck <funck at ivi.fhg.de>
>>To: Jean-Pierre Chretien <Jean-Pierre.Chretien at cert.fr>
>>CC: latex2html at tug.org
>>Subject: Re: [l2h] gray background for some images
>>
>>Hello Jean-Pierre,
>>
>>> $E_{\textrm{Bayes}}$ gives the correct result, and *is* the current correct syntax to get
>>> roman fonts in math.
>>
>>'\textrm' didn't change the behaviour.

It did here, so \text{} should be avoided.

>>> It is good to know also that a bug (IMHO, and ond Ros Moore's also,

Ross Moore, by the way, sorry

>>> but seemingly NOT on the developers') in Mozilla/Firefox turns into a failure
>>> to align inline equations, which are correctly seen
>>> in IE and Konqueror, and others I guess.
>>It is definitely not a browser issue, the png-files themselves are not
>>transparent (using ImageMagicks display), although image info says it should.
>>Also, IE and Firefox on Windows give identical results.

OK, the png file *is* transparent here all right (see attachment), so it may come from your library version.
 Sun/Solaris 5.8
 perl 5.6.1
 LaTeX2HTML Version 2002-1 (1.68)
 libpng 1.2.3

>>As an alternative I tried to disable transparency, but setting
>>   $TRANSPARENT_FIGURES = 0;
>>in the .latex2html-init file just gives me
>>
>>"./.latex2html-init did not return a true value at /usr/bin/latex2html line 183"
>>
>>Omitting the line keeps transparency switched on.

Works fine here with this simple .latex2html-init file:
$TRANSPARENT_FIGURES = 0;

1

In fact this is a Perl message, not a l2h one: your .latex2html-init file
should end with a 1 on a single line to return true

>>As a second alternative, I tried to generate gif instead of png. Unfortunately
>>pstoimg does not support gif. Is there a way to configure pstoimg so that it
>>would support gif?

I guess the libraries are missing... maybe due to licensing issues.
There is presently no reason to use gif instesd of png.
Maybe you could browse the latex2html docs and check that libraries needed to
manage graphics are here and up to date. AFAIR, the links are referenced there.
You may check netpbm as well.

--
Jean-Pierre