[l2h] image generation problem

Igor Pechtchanski pechtcha at cs.nyu.edu
Sat Apr 23 20:51:52 CEST 2005

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005, Bob van der Poel wrote:

> Okay, I just installed a new version of Linux (Mandrake 2005) and think
> I have everything I need to use latex2html on my documetation. But ...
> it doesn't work.
>
> Running the program gives me a whole bunch of error messages in the form:
>
> Error: Cannot read 'img2.png': No such file or directory
> Converting image #25
> pstoimg: Warning: Cannot use /var/tmp/l2h1260 as temporary directory.
> pstoimg: Error: Cannot find file "/var/tmp/l2h1260/_image025.ps": No such file or directory
>

> I have checked and I (as a user) can create files and directries in /var/tmp.
>
> I have also converted a simple .ps file to .png with pstoimg. So, I know that
> pstoimg is installed and works.
>
> I have looked at the .log files generated by latex2html. I probably
> don't know what I'm looking for, but don't see anything unusual.
>
> mandrake seems to be missing the perldoc stuff, so I grabbed an rpm of
> that from the mandrake site. It needed to be 'forced' to install, but
> the result of that was the pstoimg now works. Not sure if that buggered
> things or not.
>
> The tex I'm running is tetex 3.0.
>
> And the version of the program:
>
> latex2html --version
> This is LaTeX2HTML Version 2002-2-1 (1.71)
> by Nikos Drakos, Computer Based Learning Unit, University of Leeds.
>
> BTW, the html generation seems to work just fine. Just no images.
>
> A quiet plea for HELP!

Try running latex2html with a -debug flag.  That should keep all the
temporary files around, as well as produce some useful messages in the
log.  Another place to look is the images.log file (which may explain why
the images weren't produced).  One caveat: the \begin{latexonly} ..
\end{latexonly} (or the equivalent %-forms) aren't used in image
production -- you need to replicate the necessary code in a
\begin{imagesonly} .. \end{imagesonly} section, or extract it to a .sty
file.
HTH,
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha at cs.nyu.edu
ZZZzz /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,_		igor at watson.ibm.com

"The Sun will pass between the Earth and the Moon tonight for a total
Lunar eclipse..." -- WCBS Radio Newsbrief, Oct 27 2004, 12:01 pm EDT