[l2h] how get LaTeX2HTML to work under Windows XP with LATEST distros?

Ross Moore ross at maths.mq.edu.au
Mon Oct 25 04:48:07 CEST 2004

Hi Murray,

On 25/10/2004, at 5:48 AM, Murray Eisenberg wrote:

> Can anybody tell me how to actually get the LATEST distribution of
> LaTeX2HTML (latex2html-2002-2-1) to work with the current MiKTeX under
> Windows (XP) using also the current distribution of netpbm (27
> December 2003, at
> http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/netpbm.htm)?

What kinds of things are going wrong ?
Since Windows is not my choice of operating system, it's not
easy for me to test a LaTeX2HTML distribution. And even then,
there are lots of options and alternatives, so even if I did
setup for testing, I may not be able to find what is failing
to work for you.

On the other hand, with sufficient feedback --- in particular
the screen logs from failing sessions --- I may be able to
guide you to the correct places in the Perl coding where things
need to be changed.

Some questions:

   Can you get a LaTeX2HTML job to run at all ?
   Is it just that images don't come out right ?
   Are L-shaped black bars a symptom of the problems
    --- maybe the only visible problem ?

   Is the images.dvi file constructed correctly ---
    have you looked at  images.log ?

   Have you tried using the  -debug  switch ?
   If so, can you locate where the image-processing
   is done, and have examined the graphics-format
   files there, constructed as intermediate files
   during the complete image processing phase.

Or are the problems deeper than this, and you just
cannot get the installation procedure to work ?
In that case, I'd like to see the screen logs
and the .pm files that this should be creating.

> The documentation at
>
>   http://www.mayer.dial.pipex.com/l2h.htm
>
> is nearly 5 years old!  And, as I've posted here before, the result of
> following those instructions simply does not work.

> (I've frittered away endless hours so far on this.  At one point I
> gave up and just used tex4ht instead, which can produce, as an option,
> html files that use MathML rather than graphics images.  But tex4ht
> doesn't do the nice division of documents into separate pages that
> LaTeX2HTML is supposed to do.)

Are browsers doing a good job of displaying MathML created this way ?
If so, then that's an ability that I'd like to add to LaTeX2HTML also.
Indeed it's been on the TODO list for some time. Finding time to do
the required programming has been the main barrier to this.

Best regards,

	Ross Moore

Ross Moore                                         ross at maths.mq.edu.au
Sydney, Australia                                  fax: +61 +2 9850 8114

Ross Moore                                         ross at maths.mq.edu.au
Sydney, Australia                                  fax: +61 +2 9850 8114

Ross Moore                                         ross at maths.mq.edu.au
Sydney, Australia                                  fax: +61 +2 9850 8114