[l2h] Re: l2h problem

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Sun Jul 18 14:40:16 CEST 2004

Hi Harvey,

On 18/07/2004, at 9:26 PM, Harvey Greenberg wrote:

> IT WORKED!!!!   See below for responses.  (Should configure be
> changed?)  I don't know why it worked before...oh well, linux
> works in mysterious ways.

There have been several changes to  pnmcrop  over the years.
This is maintained quite independently from LaTeX2HTML.
The use of  -black  was a hack to avoid a problem with
one version of  pnmcrop . It shouldn't have been necessary,
and may no longer be needed at all.

Indeed, it's only effective when the \textcolor is black
--- usually true, but need not be always; so is somewhat
of a limitation anyway.

What surprises me is that  -black  is shown as an optional
argument for  pnmcrop , yet your executable didn't seem
to recognise it. That's clearly a mistake in either the
software or the documentation. I don't know how widespread
is this problem --- your report is the first that I've heard
about it. So I wouldn't be prepared to make any changes
to  configure  yet, without a more detailed look at just
which versions and subversions are affected.

> I also have MikTeX on windows xp.  I didn't know l2h works there.

Certainly it works from a DOS prompt.
I don't use Windows myself, so don't know how well it works
under XP. It should be OK, as I've not heard reports of
major difficulties. If you search the Web, I'm sure you will
find instructions on how to install it to work with MikTeX.

> Is it part of MikTeX or a separate installation?

The distribution site is at  www.latex2html.org .
But there's be no major revision for ~3 years.

Hope this helps,

	Ross

Ross Moore                                         ross at maths.mq.edu.au
Sydney, Australia                                  fax: +61 +2 9850 8114