[l2h] mnemonic anchors

Jens Lehmann jens.lehmann at goldmail.de
Fri Jan 2 22:04:49 CET 2004

Ross Moore wrote:

> There should be a hierarchy of choices for the label to use
> when building the TOC and mini-TOCs:
>
>   a.   use a symbolic \label if there is one
> else
>   b.   construct a label from the section-title;
>        use this, if it is unique for the HTML-page
> else
>   c.   use the current label based on the section-numbers.
>
> This should be possible to do; but a full solution will take some time
> to develop.

My thoughts are similar (extends your idea). Add two configurable
boolean options (don't know if the names are good):
$USE_TITLES_AS_ANCHORS
$USE_TITLE_LABELS_AS_ANCHORS

a. $USE_TITLES_AS_ANCHORS=0
    $USE_TITLE_LABELS_AS_ANCHORS=0
    -> works exactly like it does now; default setting
b. $USE_TITLES_AS_ANCHORS=1
    $USE_TITLE_LABELS_AS_ANCHORS=0
    -> uses the section title as anchor; if it's not unique an
       incrementing number is added
c. $USE_TITLES_AS_ANCHORS=0
    $USE_TITLE_LABELS_AS_ANCHORS=1
    -> uses a symbolic label as anchor; if it's not present the label is
       based on the section number
d. $USE_TITLES_AS_ANCHORS=1
    $USE_TITLE_LABELS_AS_ANCHORS=1
    -> uses a symbolic label as anchor; if it's not present the section
       title is used; if it's not unique an incrementing number is added

This is good for backwards compatibility and let's the user some
freedom. Some users will want to use symbolic labels throughout the
whole document, others (like me) want to use the section titles and
again others may rely on the current behaviour.

Another idea:

I assume if users want to allow links, which are "safe for updates",
they probably want the names of the html pages as strings (can be
achieved using $LONG_TITLES) and the anchors we are talking about as
strings. That's why it is probably good, if there were a single option
for this.

I know it's not easy to implement this, but it would be a really great
enhancement for latex2html (at least people immediately requested this
"feature" for the document I maintain). Thanks for your interest and
best wishes for the new year.

Jens

--
PGP Public Key: http://studenten-dresden.de/public_key.asc