[l2h] \verbatim and \endverbatim

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Fri Jan 2 01:36:18 CET 2004

Hello Jens,

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003, Jens Lehmann wrote:

> Hello,
>
> LaTeX2HTML currently supports the verbatim-environment (\begin{verbatim}
> ... \end{verbatim}), but it doesn't honour the commands \verbatim and
> \endverbatim. These commands are needed if you want to define your own
> verbatim-like environments (see the documentation of verbatim for more

Verbatim-like environments are always tricky, because they do not obey
the rules/style of normal LaTeX syntax for their content.

However, a definition such as:
\newenvironment{myspecialenv}
 {\textbf{This is mine}
  \begin{verbatim}
 }
 {\end{verbatim}
}

should work with LaTeX2HTML, even if it doesn't work with LaTeX
itself. Thus you can use conditional coding to vary the definition
according to the processing-engine:

\usepackage{html}
\begin{htmlonly}
\newenvironment{myspecialenv}
 {\textbf{This is mine}
  \begin{verbatim}
 }
 {\end{verbatim}
}
\end{htmlonly}
%begin{latexonly}
\newenvironment{myspecialenv}
 {\textbf{This is mine}\verbatim}
 {\endverbatim}
%end{latexonly}

> information). How can I get support for \verbatim and \endverbatim?

Try the above.
Tell me if it doesn't work for you, and then provide an example
for me to test, and debug if necessary.

> Jens

All the best,