[l2h] Looking for section/navigation info

Rhonda Hyslop 0402tug at write-on.org
Thu Feb 12 08:34:10 CET 2004

Hello,

I have a document that is currently in LaTeX format and I've been using
latex2html very successfully on it, but I would like to change its
presentation on the web pages somewhat, especially the navigation.

I've been searching google and the latex2html code all day at this point
and while I have a better idea of how latex2html is put together than I
did this morning, I'm no closer to making the navigation system I want.

I have found numerous copies of the latex2html documentation, and have
read the section on customizing the navigation, but what is described
there is not what I want to do. Basically, I want to have a list of all
the top-level sections as part of the navigation instead of just the
built-in pointers to next/previous/up/contents/index pages - the problem
is, I haven't been able to figure out which variable stores all of the
sections, and which variable stores the section the navigation menu is
being generated for, and whether they're available in a useful form in
.latex2html-init

I've been playing with the top_navigation_panel subroutine in
.latex2html-init and having it print the contents of various variables
that seem like likely candidates, but without much luck so far.
@curr_sec_id for example, seems from its name to hold the id array of
the section currently being processed, but when printed in the
navigation panel code on any page, it is always set to the value of the
last top-level section +1.

Thanks for any help or pointers you can give me...

-Rhonda
--
 www.write-on.indy || www.write-on.org   \/  http://history.ubcengineers.ca/
  Discuss the art and craft of writing   /\   UBC Engineers History Project