[l2h] pstoimg unhappy with tmp directory

M.W. Lake mark.lake@ucl.ac.uk
Fri, 10 Jan 2003 19:46:14 +0000

Hello,

Having successfully used latex2html for several years I recently
upgraded my system and now have a problem incorporating .eps files. I
can't find a solution in the archives, although I have seen
similar(ish) postings.

My latex file has the line
/includegraphics[]{../figures/hnd9_fig1.eps} and I have created a
symbolic link to this file in the directory created by latex2html.
This used to work fine (even without the link), but now pstoimg claims
it cannot use the temporary l2h* directory.  Use of the -debug switch
shows that this directory is (sometimes-see below) created and is
read-write for the userid initiating latex2html.  Furthermore, I can
successfully run pstoimg manually with the switches that latex2html
specifies (having first copied the relevant .eps file into the
temporary directory as _image001.ps).  My impression is that
latex2html is failing to create the intermediate file _image001.ps
and/or the temporary image subdirectory, but not being a PERL
programmer I don't know whether this is possible or where to start
looking.

I'm baffled and would appreciate some help.  Find further information
below.

Many thanks,

Mark

On my Debian 3.0 Linux system
latex2html -debug -tmp tmp -split +2 -local_icons -info 0 handout9
produces the following output (abridged):

This is LaTeX2HTML Version 2K.1beta (1.48)
Note: Images will be generated in tmp/l2h2810
usr/bin/perl /usr/bin/pstoimg -type png -debug -tmp tmp/l2h2810 -discard -interlace -antialias -depth 1 -scale 1.6 -crop a -transparent -out img1.png tmp/l2h2810/_image001.ps"
 at /usr/bin/latex2html line 4181 ...  Converting image #1 pstoimg
V2K.1beta (Revision 1.11, Perl 5.006001)
pstoimg: Warning: Cannot use tmp/l2h2810 as temporary directory.
pstoimg: Temporary directory is /tmp
pstoimg: Error: Cannot find file "tmp/l2h2810/_image001.ps": No
such file or directory

Error while converting image

Once latex2html has completed I find that tmp/l2h2810 exists
drwxr-xr-x, but is empty.  If I try using the system-wide temporary
directory /tmp (which is drwxrwxrwt) then the l2h* subdirectory does
not get created (same error messages though), let alone any contents.

--
Dr. Mark Lake

Institute of Archaeology
University College London