[l2h] avoiding conversion of "--" to "-"

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake at acm.org
Thu Dec 18 00:15:51 CET 2003

I'm using LaTeX2HTML to convert programmer's API documentation using a
fair bit of custom Perl code.

Over the years, I've dealt with many places in our documentation where
the text "--" is contained as content rather than an markup for an
en-dash.  In each case, I've avoided the en-dash conversion by adding
still more markup in the document text.  While less than ideal, it has
worked.

I recently decided it was time to tackle this problem in a more
general way.

In each case where I've needed to deal with this conversion, the
affected "--" has occurred in content which is known to never need the
conversion based on the surrounding markup.  What I've tried to do in
these cases is to convert the "--" to some other HTML spelling of
those two characters; I've tried both "--" and the XHTML-ish
"--".  In both cases, the conversion still takes place.

Where in LaTeX2HTML is this conversion being done?  Is there some way
to suppress this without an uglier transformation of the "--"?

I will note that converting "--" to "-<span>-</span>" or
"-<!--junk-->-" works, but both are incredibly ugly ways of doing
this.

Thanks!

  -Fred

--