[l2h] dvips version detection + perl warning

Erling D. Andersen e.d.andersen at mosek.com
Wed Dec 17 13:16:02 CET 2003

Hi,

By the way I get dvips from the latest fptex for Windows.

>Can you reply to this email, including the lines that  dvips
>prints when it first starts up.
>In a terminal, or DOS window, or whatever, please try:
>  dvips --help    or  dvips -help   or  dvips -h
>  dvips --version  or   dvips -version  or  dvips -v
>or whatever else might reveal the startup message.
>Try several, in case the responses are different.

Here are

C:\>dvis -v
'dvis' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\>dvips -v
This is dvips(k) 5.94a Copyright 2003 Radical Eye Software (www.radicaleye.com)

C:\>dvips --version
dvips(k) 5.94a
kpathsea version 3.5.2
Copyright (C) 2003 Radical Eye Software.
There is NO warranty.  You may redistribute this software
under the terms of the GNU General Public License
and the Dvips copyright.
For more information about these matters, see the files
named COPYING and dvips.h.
Primary author of Dvips: T. Rokicki; -k maintainer: T. Kacvinsky/ S. Rahtz.

C:\>

>> after the code
>>

>Also, the error may not be with the actual version string,
>as the regex below should detect any of:
>    dvips 5.94a
>    DVIPS 5.94A
>    dvipsk 5.94a
>    dvips(k) 5.94a
>and many other similar patterns.
>
>So to check what is happening, can you please add some print lines:
>
>>   foreach $veropt (@tryopts) {
>>       my ($stat,$msg,$err) = &get_out_err("$dvips $veropt");
>>
>>       $msg .= $err || '';
>
>print "\nSTAT:$stat, MSG=$msg";
>>
>>       if(!$stat && $msg =~ /(?:^| )dvips(?:\(k\)|k|)\s*(\d+[.]?\d*[A-Z]?)/is) {
>>         $version = $1;
>print "; VERSION=$version\n";
>>         last;
>>       }
>>     }

Ross note that

C:\Program Files\TeXLive\bin\win32\dvips.exe

i.e. it contain a space in path. Can it cause problems. The output you ask for is below.

Warning: Will not automatically install LaTeX2HTML style files.
checking for dvips... C:\Program Files\TeXLive\bin\win32\dvips.exe
checking dvips version...
STAT:1, MSG=This is dvips(k) 5.94a Copyright 2003 Radical Eye Software (www.ra
caleye.com)
Missing DVI file argument (or -f).
Try --help for more information.
STAT:1, MSG='C:\Program' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
STAT:1, MSG='C:\Program' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
STAT:1, MSG='C:\Program' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

Erling